So, today it was really foggy and damp outside. Guess I couldn't go outside to eat.....I would have looked like a wet washcloth. Amazing how I can come up with excuses everyday.
We're doing a Beth Moore Bible study in our women's group on Wednesday nights. Right now we are studying the book of Esther. I have done some other studies on Esther, but Beth Moore brings out alot of new ideas. Last night one of the topics was fear....how appropriate for me.....
She pointed out that Esther was afraid of what could happen if she approached the King without being invited into his presence. He could have her killed or he could spare her. Beth Moore pointed out that we are often cripple by our fear of something that might never occur. The bottom line was that no matter what , God is there. These past few months I have had to face alot of fears, and amazingly, I survived. Everyone (well, maybe not everyone) knows how much I dislike/fear interstate driving. So as the date approached for us to head to Tampa in December for our flight to Dallas, I realized because of Jimmy's neuropathy, that he could not drive and that I would have to do the driving. Well, thanks to Beth Ann's encouraging words I was able to make the drive without hyperventilating. It actually wasn't too bad until I got to the airport. There is so much construction going on there that I really had to watch the signs carefully. Today I was talking with a friend and I realized how ridiculous my fear is. (I would rather be a passenger-and give up control to someone else--how ridiculous! Sometimes I don't even know what kind of driver I am riding with!) Then this weekend, I faced my fear of deep water by taking the kayak into the gulf. Who would have thought that I would EVER attempt that? I did keep my life vest on the whole time.. Oh, heck, lets face it...I keep my life vest on when I kayaking in shallow water in the bay. Better to be safe than sorry, since I can't swim.
Wonder what irrational fear I will work on next. Only time will tell.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm proud of you for your accomplishments. Sometimes we are thrown in situations that require us to face fears that we weren't prepared to face. We come out stunned and amazed at ourselves for finding the strength we didn't know we had. I think about as a kid, pacing back and forth between the windows at the mention of a tornado watch. And now I must take my kids out of bed and head for shelter all while trying not to vomit out of fright or show that I'm the least bit concerned. It's hard, but we make it through. And once we conquer these fears, we find ourselves a lot less limited.
ReplyDeleteBTW, my friend Donna, was encouraging me to look into one of the Beth Moore studies recently.